September is National Suicide Prevention Month, an annual month-long campaign to raise awareness about suicide prevention, reduce stigma around the topic and encourage those in need to utilize available resources.
We wanted to use this post as an opportunity to share national and local resources.
- If you or someone you know is in an emergency, call 911 immediately.
- If you are in crisis or are experiencing difficult or suicidal thoughts, call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273 TALK (8255) or
- A local resource is the Center for Healthcare Services Crisis Line at 210-223-SAFE
- If you’re uncomfortable talking on the phone, you can also text NAMI to 741-741 to be connected to a free, trained crisis counselor on the Crisis Text Line
- San Antonio Police also has a Mental Health Unit available to the community, and can be reached at 210-207-SAPD
- There is also a Disaster Distress Line through SAMHSA dedicated to providing immediate crisis counseling for people who are experiencing emotional distress related to any natural or human-caused disaster, call them at 800-985-5990